May is about to make her visit to us and most probably the thinking that is going through your mind is what to grow in May. In May, all my works is done in the garden for the ensuing summer. This is the month that gives new life to our garden with her excellent combination of bright sunlight and cold down pour. It’s really pleasure to develop a beautiful garden in May. You must note down the last frost date of your zone and it is the key. You can take help from the google to know the last date of frost in your location. Don’t hesitate to fill your garden with some vegetables or colorful flowers. It is the time when a lot of seeds can be sown in the veg garden. And you are interested to grow some veges and fruits in this May, go through.
Vegetables and herbs to grow in May
Some of the vegetables and herbs that can be grown in May are listed below:
For indoor plantation/ greenhouse planting
- If the risk of frost passed, you would try planting some sweetcorn. Super sweet ‘summer glow’ can be a good choice for this purpose. Growing at least 12 plants will help you in pollination and cropping.
- In pot or container, grow some basil.
- You can try some squash, pumpkin and courgette seeds under cover in this month.
- Who does not like to enjoy tomatoes? So, to enjoy them, sow some tomato seeds. Perhaps May provides you an opportunity to grow tomatoes for the last time in many growing reign. Plant the seedlings out in the growing land when, in your location, the risk of last frost has passed finally. Don’t worry even if you don’t have enough space to grow seedlings of your own. Purchase some of the plants from a trusted seller or nursery to start with.
- Don’t forget to transplant the seedlings into the pot or containers soon after they release real leaves.
- You should sow some basil seeds in warmth to protect them from the unexpected frost of May.
- Try some lettuce but not all at the same time. Instead, you can re-sow the seeds maintaining at least 7 days of gap. This will allow you to harvest lettuce continuously for a long time.
- In individual pots, sow gherkin and cucumber seeds for you summer harvesting.
- If you like to enjoy some runner beans and French beans, perhaps it is the final chance for you to try with. If the last frost of your location has passed, sow them under cover and in individual pots or container.
- No need to hesitate planting brassica and leafy greens under cover now.
- Rosemary, thyme old English, sage, lovage and lemon balm are the best perennial herbs to try in this month. Sow them under cover.
For outdoor planting
- Sow some borage directly to use the flowers for salads and desserts.
- Try some comfrey to fill the neglected corner or part of your garden.
- Sow thinly and directly some chard and beetroots seeds.
- If you have nursery beds outside, don’t forget to try some broccoli and calabrese to be transplanted later. You can also sow them directly in the vegetable pots or containers,
- It’ll be really a great fun to grow some leafy greens like cabbage and brussels sprouts. To prevent the flies of laying eggs on them, install a net over your cabbages.
- It’s time to sow some carrots directly.
- To enjoy a colorful and flavorsome salad leaves, it’d be better to sow some red chicory radicchio ‘Rossa di Treviso precoce’.
- Chive, dill and coriander; at the same time, parsley ‘Laura’ seeds should be sown directly outside into the ground or in pots.
- For a quick harvest at within 8 weeks, you must try to grow some kohl rabi ‘Kolibri’ F1 Hybrid.
- You can sow peas directly in the ground; or in containers if you are fighting against mice problem.
- To have a continuous harvesting of pak choi ‘Tricolour Mix’, sow them every three weeks.
- Directly sow 3-4 parsnip seeds maintaining a distance of 20 cm. after the full germination and growth of the plants, thin the weaker one.
- Chinese radish is a great fun to grow outdoor in the month of May. It’s a flavorsome white rooted salad vegs. Mooli Kumbong F1 is one of the best choice for the purpose and it’d be better to grow them in containers.
- If you like to enjoy salad, directly sow salad leaves in pots or on the ground.
- Applying a cover, start with ‘All the Year Round’ cauliflower now.
- Try Swiss Chard if you like to have a colorful crops outdoor. It can also be used to decorate your flower beds.
- In this month, you can try some turnips and ‘Golden Ball’ can ensure you its fleshy golden appearance. Also turnips are a great combination of your casseroles and stews.
- Ensuring 2-3-inch water regularly in the containers, you can try some watercress.
- Start planting leeks and brassicas to the final positions.
Fruits to grow in May
May also permits you to grow some fresh and lovely fruits only if you are a fresh fruit lover or want to enjoy homemade fruit juice. Let’s check out what fruits to grow in the month of May.
- Sow melons now in separate modules. ‘Outdoor Wonder’ F1 Hybrid is the best choice for the best outcome that suites the British climate.
What to order in May
A short list of possible crops to grow in May
Cool season and greens
- Patty pan
- Crookneck squash
- Spegetti squash
- Acorn squash
- Banana squash
- Ever bearing strawberries
- Crenshaw melons
- Honeydew melons
- Sweet corn
Tomatoes and more
- Some of the common diseases like apple sucker, powdery mildew, aphids, caterpillars, pear sucker and pear midge must be handled for expected harvesting.
- Ensure pear and apple scab controls.
- Identify flies and other pests in you greens and if they are identified, treat accordingly with immediate actions.
- To ensure cleanliness of your growing areas, weed out the unexpected seedlings regularly.
How to care
It’s essential to take a proper care of your plants if you want to fulfill your target harvesting. Here some tips to care your plants.
- Feed the plants with liquid fertilizer. Maintain a balance for every fortnight.
- Protect your plats from unexpected the frost that pays her visit lately.
- Allow some useful insects inside for pollination.
- Avoid applying pesticides on the flower of your crops.
Caring your vegetables
- Support the plants with a stick or wire net if you think it is necessary.
- In cause of dense sowing, thin them out when they are mature enough to handle.
- In May, ensure a runner bean support to sow.
- You must ensure required temperature for the particular types of vegetables that you are growing now.
- You should water accordingly to ensure moderate moisture for your plants.
- Neither you’ll let your land get dried, nor you’ll over water the plants. Drought and water logging, both may destroy the plantation.
- Install a shade to protect your early outdoor sowing.
“what to grow in may, how to grow date plant trees and germinate seeds, small veg garden, what to plant in may, what vegetables to plant in may, what can i plant in may, what can you plant in may, how to grow blackberry from cuttings, what to sow in may, small vegetable garden, latest veg garden, npk for growing tomatoes, what seeds to plant in may, vegetable garden in uk, how to grow, best veg garden, what vegetables can you plant in may, what vegetables can i plant in may, what veggies to plant in may“