April is about to make her visit to us and most probably the thinking that is going through your mind is what to grow in April. This is the month that gives new life to our garden with her excellent combination of bright sunlight and cold down pour. It’s really pleasure to develop a beautiful garden in April though the Jack Frost can pay its unexpected visit. Don’t hesitate to fill your garden with some vegetables or colorful flowers. It is the time when a lot of seeds can be sown in the veg garden. And you are interested to grow some vegs and fruits in this April, go through.
Vegetables and herbs to grow in April
Some of the vegetables and herbs that can be grown in April are listed below:
For indoor plantation/ greenhouse planting
- Sow some tomato seeds, perhaps this is the last chance for you to grow some tomatoes. When the risk of frost will pass, get ready to plant the seedlings out. You can start with some ready plants purchasing from a trusted source if you don’t have enough space to produce the seedlings of you own.
- transplant the seedlings into the pot or containers soon after they have their real leaves.
- Start sowing aborigine seeds under glass protection if you are willing to grow them in your greenhouse or transplant in outdoor later on.
- You should sow some basil seeds in warmth to protect them from the unexpected frost of April.
- Of course you won’t hesitate to finish sowing your celery and celeriac seeds in the glass.
- At the end of the month April, you will sow cucumber. You will select a proper pot or container and fill with potting soil before sowing cucumber in greenhouse.
- Some pumpkin, squash and marrow would be better to sow installing a cover over the seed bed.
- You can sow kale either directly in the seed beds outdoors or now in a green house.
- This month will befit for sowing some rosemary, sage and lemon balm in your greenhouse as well.
- If you are interested to grow some beans, sow some of the seeds covering the seedbeds or sow them individually into the trays or pot.
For outdoor planting
- You need to finish sowing leek seeds.
- Try kohlrabi outdoors; they will be ready within 7-8 weeks from sowing.
- Sow some Pak choi directly if you like to have a taste of the orient.
- In order to get some summer crops, you need to sow some sweet pepper seeds in the greenhouse.
- Directly sow some pea or beans seeds.
- If you are a salad liker like me, sow some radish seeds outdoors directly.
- Don’t hesitate to continue for spinach seeds in the seedbeds which are enriched with a moderate amount of organic matter.
- In drills outdoors, you can sow some spring onion seeds.
- If you think you have a rich soil, try some swede seeds outdoors.
- Don’t forget to try Swiss chard in this month.
- It won’t be bad if you try to grow some watercress in your container in the month of April.
- Asparagus can develop well if you can ensure well prepared permanent beds for them.
- Don’t forget that it is your last chance to order shallots, onion and garlic. Hurry up.
- Outside in your garden, plant second early potatoes.
Fruits to grow in April
April also permits you to grow some fresh and lovely fruits only if you are a fresh fruit lover or want to enjoy homemade fruit juice. Let’s check out what fruits to grow in the month of April.
For indoors planting/ greenhouse planting
- Sow some melon seeds as, you know, they are very easy to grow.
- For the colorful and testy strawberry, you can plan right now in this April. ‘Florian F1 Hybrid’ might be the best choice for your greenhouse plantation.
For outdoors planting
- April is the time to try the pot growing fruit trees and bushes. You are too late to try bare root plants in this year. Still you can try pot growing varieties.
- Before the dog day arrives, continue to plant raspberry and blackberry canes.
- If you can ensure rich soil for your plants, plant strawberry outdoors. For a quick harvest, cloches over the plants.
A short list of possible crops to grow in April
- Green onion
- Sweet peas
- Bell peppers
- Lemon balm
- Pak choi
- Swiss chard
- You must deal with some of the common diseases like powdery mildew, caterpillars, aphids, pear sucker, apple sucker and pear midge for expected harvesting.
- Ensure pear and apple scab controls.
- Identify red spider mite and aphids on the strawberries. If they are identified, treat immediately and accordingly.
- Ensure cleanliness of your growing areas weeding the unexpected plants regularly.
How to care
Caring your fruits
It’s essential to take a proper care of your fruits if you want to fulfill your target harvesting. Here some tips to care your fruits plants.
- Feed your plans with liquid fertilizer maintaining a balance for every fortnight.
- Protect the plats from unexpected late frost.
- Allow some useful insects inside for pollination.
- Try to maintain a minimum temperature of 55-60 degrees F.
- Beneath the heated glass, pick forced strawberries.
- De-blossom your strawberries that are planted after September, for the first year only to ensure establishment.
- Stop applying pesticides on crops’ flower.
Caring your vegetables
- Ensure support for your plants with a stick or wire net if necessary.
- Protect your early outdoor sowing with shade.
- Thin out the seedlings when they are mature enough to handle.
- In May, ensure a runner bean support to sow.
- Ensure required temperature for the particular types of vegetables you are growing.
- Apply sufficient fertilizer if necessary; ensure rich soil for your vegs.
- Water accordingly, ensure moderate moisture for your plants.
- Don’t let your land get dry; avoid over irrigation to prevent water logging.
“what to plant in april, what vegetables to plant in april, what can you plant in april, what can i plant in april, what seeds to plant in april, what vegetables can you plant in april, what to sow in april, what vegetables can i plant in april, what plants to plant in april”